- Using The Grid 2 with Windows 8
- Enable Windows 8 on-screen keyboard function keys
- Remote support
- Using your CereVoice Me voice in Grid 3
- Change the size of screen items in Windows
- Change the size of menu fonts in Windows 7
- Downloading and Burning ISO Files
- How to disable a built in Web camera
- Gathering information about an error
- Which versions of Windows are supported?
- User Permissions for Smartbox software
- Types of USB switch connector
- To change the size of screen items in Windows
- To change the size of screen items in Windows 8
- SAPI speech is not working!
- Questions about Smartbox Update
- Keyboard Shortcuts for Windows XP
- Installing VLC media player.
- Corrupted memory cards
- Can’t get some/any voices to work
- Using Dwell Clicker 6 with Smartnav
- Activate Smartbox software without an internet connection
- Licencing Dwell Clicker 2
- Alea Intelligaze Shortcuts
- Windows 10 and your device
- Quick device maintenance and troubleshooting
- Antivirus updates
- Finding Log files for our software
- Returning an item to us
- Languages reset after Windows 10 Anniversary update
- Windows 10 update has broken Wi-Fi on my device
- Smartbox and your data
- Resetting your Smartbox account password
- Using Grid 3 to play Steam games
- Problems with Grid 3, The Grid 2 and Look to Learn after the Windows Autumn Creators update
- SmartNav less responsive after Windows 10 update
- How to Uninstall Dwell Clicker
- How to remove Cookies and search history from Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge
- Reducing the size of photo files for use in Grid 3
- How to disable Windows 10 sign-in
- Unable to access a free trial of a licensed grid set
- Cannot pair wireless Acer keyboard with Grid Pad
- Where can I find the myGaze EyeMouse Play software?
- How to remove the handles from a Grid Pad Go device
- How to find your device serial number
- No sound in Grid 3 after Windows update
- Recommended power settings for your Grid Pad
- Grid 3 failing to load on start up
- Beeping sound when using keyboard, Windows button or switch
- How to improve visual feedback for touch screen users
- How to create cells to play a song or video from your music / video library
- Grid Pad 11 not starting
- Unable to send messages using Grid 3 with Call Center
- Connecting an external microphone to Power Pad
- Windows 10 Update Assistant failing to update software
- TalkTalk blocking Teamviewer
- Screen rotation re-enabled after Windows update
- Using a smart phone with Grid
- Support options when you purchase from a Smartbox Partner
- Checking the Bluetooth speaker connection on Touch Pad
- Super Core Communication Book: FAQs
- Creating a word list in Grid
- Cleaning and quarantine of devices
- How to get set up for a Virtual Visit
- Windows 10 update re-enables Fast startup
- High CPU usage on Grid Pad 13
- How to add a video to your grid set
- Windows on screen keyboard not working after Windows 10 Anniversary update
- How can I improve the battery life of my Grid Pad?
- Grid 3 is not able to update
- Troubleshooting switches that are not working in Grid 3
- Cursor drifting to the side of the screen when using Quha Zono
- Smartbox software issues after Windows 10 updates
Can’t get some/any voices to work
This answer covers the case where you can’t hear speech from some/all voices on your system.
First confirm that you speakers are working. If you have a BackBox, try unplugging it and testing through the internal speakers or a headphone. Can you hear anything from your PCs speakers? You can either try playing some music, or use the following procedure to test the audio hardware:
- Control panel->Sounds;
- Select the “Sound” tab
- Under ‘Program events’ select (any) event
- In the Sounds drop down list select a sound and click the play button.
If you can’t hear a sound you need to check your speakers are connected, the volume control is not set to zero or muted. If you still have the dialog open, look on the ‘Volume’ tab. There may also be some more settings if you click the ‘Advanced’ button.
Incorrect/Invalid output device
In the beginning, most domestic computers only had one sound output device and that is where the software sends the speech. Life now is more complex. You may attach USB or Bluetooth speakers, Skype or other headphones. Even some mobile phones can act as an audio output device. When you plug in a secondary output device, Windows will often route the audio to the new device. When it is removed, Windows removes the device but does not always reset the default device correctly. Windows maintains separate default output devices for audio and speech so you may lose some voices but still be able to hear music. The Acapela voices are sent to the default audio device which is configured on the ‘Audio’ tab. SAPI5 voices are managed through the ‘Voice’ tab.
To reset the default audio device (XP):
- Control panel->Sounds;
- Select the “Audio” tab;
- In the upper ‘Sound playback’ frame, drop down the ‘Default device’ to make sure it gets properly selected;
- Repeat the previous step on the ‘Voice’ tab
First, if you can get the machine on-line, run Sensory Update. Although this will not fix all problems with the Acapela voices, it will check the rest of your software. If you cant get the machine on-line, phone the office for a new set of CDs and try re-installing the software.
If you are having problems with some voices not working, it may be related to licensing issues. Run licence manager and see if the voices are correctly licensed. Some third-party voices may be locked to specific products so you may see some SAPI5 voices listed that don’t work.
If the problem is with an Acapela voice, there are two diagnostic programs under:
C:Program FilesSensory SoftwareCommonSpeechSensory Speech Test.exe
C:Program FilesSensory SoftwareCommonSpeechAcapelaacademo.exe
You are welcome to experiment with these, but they are primarily intended for testing during a remote desktop session. Please phone support for advice. If possible have the machine on-line when you phone.
Request a quote
Quickly put together what you need and send it over to us.