- SAPI speech is not working!
- Corrupted memory cards
- Can’t get some/any voices to work
- Quick device maintenance and troubleshooting
- Antivirus updates
- Languages reset after Windows 10 Anniversary update
- Windows on screen keyboard not working after Windows 10 Anniversary update
- Windows 10 update has broken Wi-Fi on my device
- How can I improve the battery life of my Grid Pad?
- Resetting your Smartbox account password
- Grid 3 is not able to update
- Problems with Grid 3, The Grid 2 and Look to Learn after the Windows Autumn Creators update
- SmartNav less responsive after Windows 10 update
- Troubleshooting switches that are not working in Grid 3
- How to Uninstall Dwell Clicker
- How to remove Cookies and search history from Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge
- No sound in Grid 3 after Windows update
- Cursor drifting to the side of the screen when using Quha Zono
- Grid Pad 11 not starting
- Unable to send messages using Grid 3 with Call Center
- TalkTalk blocking Teamviewer
- Smartbox software issues after Windows 10 updates
- Support options when you purchase from a Smartbox Partner
- Checking the Bluetooth speaker connection on Touch Pad
- Super Core Communication Book: FAQs
Can’t get some/any voices to work
This answer covers the case where you can’t hear speech from some/all voices on your system.
First confirm that you speakers are working. If you have a BackBox, try unplugging it and testing through the internal speakers or a headphone. Can you hear anything from your PCs speakers? You can either try playing some music, or use the following procedure to test the audio hardware:
- Control panel->Sounds;
- Select the “Sound” tab
- Under ‘Program events’ select (any) event
- In the Sounds drop down list select a sound and click the play button.
If you can’t hear a sound you need to check your speakers are connected, the volume control is not set to zero or muted. If you still have the dialog open, look on the ‘Volume’ tab. There may also be some more settings if you click the ‘Advanced’ button.
Incorrect/Invalid output device
In the beginning, most domestic computers only had one sound output device and that is where the software sends the speech. Life now is more complex. You may attach USB or Bluetooth speakers, Skype or other headphones. Even some mobile phones can act as an audio output device. When you plug in a secondary output device, Windows will often route the audio to the new device. When it is removed, Windows removes the device but does not always reset the default device correctly. Windows maintains separate default output devices for audio and speech so you may lose some voices but still be able to hear music. The Acapela voices are sent to the default audio device which is configured on the ‘Audio’ tab. SAPI5 voices are managed through the ‘Voice’ tab.
To reset the default audio device (XP):
- Control panel->Sounds;
- Select the “Audio” tab;
- In the upper ‘Sound playback’ frame, drop down the ‘Default device’ to make sure it gets properly selected;
- Repeat the previous step on the ‘Voice’ tab
First, if you can get the machine on-line, run Sensory Update. Although this will not fix all problems with the Acapela voices, it will check the rest of your software. If you cant get the machine on-line, phone the office for a new set of CDs and try re-installing the software.
If you are having problems with some voices not working, it may be related to licensing issues. Run licence manager and see if the voices are correctly licensed. Some third-party voices may be locked to specific products so you may see some SAPI5 voices listed that don’t work.
If the problem is with an Acapela voice, there are two diagnostic programs under:
C:Program FilesSensory SoftwareCommonSpeechSensory Speech Test.exe
C:Program FilesSensory SoftwareCommonSpeechAcapelaacademo.exe
You are welcome to experiment with these, but they are primarily intended for testing during a remote desktop session. Please phone support for advice. If possible have the machine on-line when you phone.
Request a quote
Quickly put together what you need and send it over to us.