- Create a new user in Grid 3
- Grid Explorer in Grid 3
- Launching Grid 3 on startup
- Opening and using a grid set in Grid 3
- Quick edits in Grid 3
- Editing a write cell in Grid 3
- Changing a picture
- Screen capture images for your cells
- Grid 3 minimum specifications
- Editing a picture
- Creating a cell with two symbols in Grid 3
- Moving cells in Grid 3
- Resizing cells in Grid 3
- Editing the grid layout in Grid 3
- Resizing a row or column
- Changing cell appearance and cell styles
- Jump cells
- Chat and writing cells
- Commands in Grid 3
- Word lists in Grid 3
- Create word list from a body of text in Grid 3
- Adding and managing grids in Grid 3
- Cell accessibility in Grid 3
- Adding sound to a cell in Grid 3
- Setting up your Smartbox account in Grid 3
- Linking a Dropbox account to Grid 3
- Remote editing in Grid 3
- Downloading new voices in Grid 3
- How do I import grid sets in Grid 3 from one language into another?
- How can I access the latest languages in Grid 3?
- Grid 3 Keyboard Shortcuts
- How to record Grid 3 audio with Audacity
- Backup up and restore a user account in Grid 3
- Grid 3 EULA
- Grid 3 Languages
- Installing and licensing Grid 3
- Installing WordPower for Grid 3
- Grid 3 Release notes
- Send your grid sets to Online Grids from Grid 3
- Send a Grid 3 grid set to Grid Player
- Sleep screen command in Grid 3
- Smartbox and your data
- Upgrading from The Grid 2 to Grid 3
- Using the Keyboard Key command in Grid 3
- Saving a contact from an SMS or Email in Grid 3
- Playing Music in Grid 3
- Using Special Features in WordPower for Grid 3
- CallCenter and Grid 3
- Using WhatsApp with Grid 3
- Using Grid 3 as a Speech Generating Device (SGD)
- Configuring iCloud Email with Grid 3
- Reducing the size of photo files for use in Grid 3
- How to use emoji symbols in Grid 3
- Unable to access a free trial of a licensed grid set
- Symbols not appearing in Grid 3 search
- Sleep screen not working with Grid 3
- No sound in Grid 3 after Windows update
- Unable to add a grid set to Grid explorer from a USB or Online Grids
- Grid 3 running slow
- Grid 3 internal web browser appearing black
- How do I get started with Message banking in Grid 3?
- Starting Windows Apps with Grid 3
- Windows Media Player no longer available after the Windows 10 Creators Update
- The New Write Command
- Unable to open a grid set
- How do I import banked messages into Grid 3?
- Using Manic Time Tracker to track Grid 3 activity
- Grid 3 early access updates
- Using a smartphone with Grid
How to record Grid 3 audio with Audacity
If you want to record the audio coming out of Grid 3, to record a speech or to capture some of your creations in Soundbox, you will need to install software that can capture your computers audio.
We like the free Audacity software which can be downloaded here.
(Please note that this is not Smartbox software!)
Audacity is an audio capture and editing tool with many great features. What we want to do is set it up so that when we press record, it will capture the audio that is coming out of the speakers, rather than going into the device via a microphone.
Depending on your device you may have slightly different audio outputs to those listed below.
First we need to select the audio host that Audacity is listening to. In the shot below we select Microsoft WASAPI.
Then select which output to ‘listen’ to when capturing the recording. This will be the same output as the speech settings in Grid 3. You can also choose if you want a stereo or mono recording. For voice recording mono is fine, but if you are capturing audio from Soundbox you may want to use stereo.
To test the settings, hit the red record button on Audacity’s controls, then switch over to Grid 3 and trigger some audio.
Switching back to Audacity you should see the blue sound waves appearing in the file view. Press stop, then play to listen back to the audio to make sure everything is okay! You can now record the audio coming from Grid 3.
Use File – Save Project to keep your recording, if you want to share your audio online it will need compressing. These options are found in Audacity under File – Export Audio. Common formats used to share audio are MP3 and OGG. To export an MP3 you may need to download an additional file called a Codec to export properly. Audacity contains the instructions to do this if necessary.
Want to share your audio online? There are lots of services that let you upload and share, Soundcloud is a popular choice with a free account that allows for easy uploads and sharing.
Request a quote
Quickly put together what you need and send it over to us.