- Basic video training for The Grid 2
- Contacts in The Grid 2
- Using The Grid 2 and a tablet as a dedicated communication aid
- Free email account for Grid 2
- File location placeholders in The Grid 2
- XML Schema for The Grid 2
- Where are my The Grid 2 Users stored?
- What is the Program Control workspace in The Grid 2
- What is the minimum specification for The Grid 2?
- What is compatibility mode in The Grid 2?
- Using the Grid 2 Importer
- Using symbols with typing in The Grid 2
- Using more than one picture library in The Grid 2
- Using Abbreviation Expansion in The Grid 2
- The Grid 2 Workspaces
- The Grid 2 web browser improvements – v.2.3
- The Grid 2 picture editor
- The Grid 2 DVD player
- Sony Ericsson phones with The Grid 2
- Sharing The Grid 2 Users over a network
- Send an instant SMS from The Grid 2
- Saved Phrases in The Grid 2
- Run programs from The Grid 2
- Reports in The Grid 2
- Release notes for The Grid 2
- Prediction in The Grid 2
- Prediction cells in The Grid 2
- Playing music files using the music player workspace in The Grid 2
- Picture viewer in The Grid 2
- Notes on The Grid 2 Importer
- New Switch options for The Grid 2 2.7 update
- Moving and resizing cells in The Grid 2
- How many rows, column and cells can I have in The Grid 2?
- The Grid 2 Grid Explorer and your Users
- Environment Control Workspace in The Grid 2
- Display options in The Grid 2 update 2.7
- Contacts in The Grid 2
- Common on-screen keyboard cells in The Grid 2
- Auto content cells in The Grid 2
Run programs from The Grid 2
It is possible to control other programs such as Word, Internet Explorer and Skype from The Grid 2. A new command “Run program for file type” in The Grid 2.7 makes this even easier.
Launching the program
You can make your program launch (or regain focus if already launched), change to your keyboard and dock with the keyboard all from the same cell. Typically, a cell that does this contains a sequence of commands. For example, a cell that launch and controls Windows Word contains the following commands in the Edit Cell window:
1. Run program for file type.
2. Jump to – a grid designed to support the Word functions, in this case an on-screen keyboard.
3. Dock – a dock command that sits the Grid beneath the application that has been launched
The Run program for file type command means that you don’t have to find the Program Files for Word. You just want a program to open, that will allow you to look at files with extension “.doc”. It may be that you don’t have Word on your computer, but Open Office or WordPad instead. With this command, it will find a program that will allow you to read and edit your documents.
It is also useful because Program Files are saved in different places, depending on whether your operating system in XP, Vista or Windows 7. If you used the standard Run program command, you would need to locate the Word executable on your computer.
Request a quote
Quickly put together what you need and send it over to us.