- Basic video training for The Grid 2
- Contacts in The Grid 2
- Using The Grid 2 and a tablet as a dedicated communication aid
- Free email account for Grid 2
- File location placeholders in The Grid 2
- XML Schema for The Grid 2
- Where are my The Grid 2 Users stored?
- What is the Program Control workspace in The Grid 2
- What is the minimum specification for The Grid 2?
- What is compatibility mode in The Grid 2?
- Using the Grid 2 Importer
- Using symbols with typing in The Grid 2
- Using more than one picture library in The Grid 2
- Using Abbreviation Expansion in The Grid 2
- The Grid 2 Workspaces
- The Grid 2 web browser improvements – v.2.3
- The Grid 2 picture editor
- The Grid 2 DVD player
- Sony Ericsson phones with The Grid 2
- Sharing The Grid 2 Users over a network
- Send an instant SMS from The Grid 2
- Saved Phrases in The Grid 2
- Run programs from The Grid 2
- Reports in The Grid 2
- Release notes for The Grid 2
- Prediction in The Grid 2
- Prediction cells in The Grid 2
- Playing music files using the music player workspace in The Grid 2
- Picture viewer in The Grid 2
- Notes on The Grid 2 Importer
- New Switch options for The Grid 2 2.7 update
- Moving and resizing cells in The Grid 2
- How many rows, column and cells can I have in The Grid 2?
- The Grid 2 Grid Explorer and your Users
- Environment Control Workspace in The Grid 2
- Display options in The Grid 2 update 2.7
- Contacts in The Grid 2
- Common on-screen keyboard cells in The Grid 2
- Auto content cells in The Grid 2
Sharing The Grid 2 Users over a network
The Grid 2 has been designed to allow you to share users over a network.
This means that you can:
- Manage users centrally
- Allow people to log on at any workstation to access their user profile
- Allow different people to log on at the same workstation and use individual user profiles
Grid 2 users
The concept of a “user” in The Grid 2 includes a collection of grids and settings for speech, switch input and other personal settings. Each user is stored in a folder on your computer.
Sharing users on a network
To share users over a network, you simply create a shared space where the users are stored, and then let The Grid 2 know where to look for these users. You will probably also need to check the ‘Allow Network users to Change my files’
- Creating a shared space will depend on your network setup. If using simple file sharing, you will need to share the folder and check the box ‘Allow network users to change my files’.
- You may wish to allocate a drive letter that is accessible to all computers (e.g. U: for Users), or you can use a UNC path for the server name and folder (e.g. MYSERVERGrid2Users).
- Having created this folder, you should copy some user folders in from the default Grid 2 location (see above). This ensures that there are some users to start with.
- You need to set The Grid 2 to look for user in this location. Go to File > Preferences > File Locations and specify the network folder.
That’s it! You will now be able to set any workstation on the network to use the same folder (and hence the same grids and settings).
You may encounter a situation where the same files are accessed by two people at the same time. For example, two people (on separate computers) may try to access the same Grid 2 user.
If you are simply “using” The Grid 2, this is not a problem because the design of the grids will not be changing. However, if both people are attempting to make changes then problems can occur. The Grid 2 will display a warning message if you attempt to edit a grid that is being edited by another person – you should wait until they have finished making changes before attempting to edit the grid.
Request a quote
Quickly put together what you need and send it over to us.