- Speech recognition and The Grid 2
- MyTobii eye tracking not working with The Grid 2 after update
- How to install Calendar for The Grid 2
- Touchscreen settings for Tobii C-Series devices with The Grid 2
- Disable Charms Bar & Hot Corners on Windows 8/8.1 touchscreens
- Change timings in Environment Control Workspace in The Grid 2
- Using Google as your search engine in the Grid 2
- Troubleshooting Grid 2 start-up problems
- Troubleshooting Quick Glance with The Grid 2
- Configuring Gmail for use with Grid 2
- Environment control troubleshooting in The Grid 2
- How do I use the tabs in Grid Explorer in The Grid 2?
- The Grid 2 not recognising Tobii PCEye
- Basic video training for The Grid 2
- How to configure exceptions for Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender in The Grid 2
- Contacts in The Grid 2
- Using The Grid 2 and a tablet as a dedicated communication aid
- Firewall settings
- Free email account for Grid 2
- Focusing on Computer control in The Grid 2
- File location placeholders in The Grid 2
- Eyegaze interaction with The Grid 2
- XML Schema for The Grid 2
- Why is AllWrite receiving jumbled words in The Grid 2?
- Which switch adaptors can I use with The Grid 2?
- Where are my The Grid 2 Users stored?
- What is the Program Control workspace in The Grid 2
- What is the minimum specification for The Grid 2?
- What is compatibility mode in The Grid 2?
- Video Clips for The Grid 2
- Using Webcams with Grid 2
- Using the Grid 2 Importer
- Using symbols with typing in The Grid 2
- Using more than one picture library in The Grid 2
- Using Grid 2 with non-Latin alphabets
- Using Grid 2 with Hotmail
- Using Abbreviation Expansion in The Grid 2
- User Permissions for Smartbox software
- User options for dwell and scanning time in The Grid 2
- User Account Control in Windows Vista for The Grid 2
- Use of Grid 2 in Chinese
- Using The Grid 2 with Googlemail
- Understanding volume in The Grid 2
- Troubleshooting speech problems in The Grid 2
- The Grid 2 Workspaces
- The Grid 2 web browser improvements – v.2.3
- The Grid 2 picture editor
- The Grid 2 is running twice
- The Grid 2 error message “You do not have language X installed”
- The Grid 2 DVD player
- The Grid 2 and Z-Wave
- Sony Ericsson phones with The Grid 2
- Showing missing symbols in The Grid 2
- Sharing The Grid 2 Users over a network
- Setting up your TIRA or UUIRT device for EC in The Grid 2
- Setting up your GEWA device for Environment Control in The Grid 2
- Send an instant SMS from The Grid 2
- Selecting a voice in The Grid 2
- Saved Phrases in The Grid 2
- Run programs from The Grid 2
- Reports in The Grid 2
- Release notes for The Grid 2
- Prediction in The Grid 2
- Prediction cells in The Grid 2
- Playing music files using the music player workspace in The Grid 2
- Picture viewer in The Grid 2
- Phones compatible with The Grid 2
- Option to Hide Cells in The Grid 2
- Notes on The Grid 2 Importer
- No sound when playing DVDs in The Grid 2
- New Switch options for The Grid 2 2.7 update
- My words are appearing joined up in The Grid 2!
- Moving and resizing cells in The Grid 2
- MIDI in The Grid 2
- Making games with player scores in The Grid 2
- Locking grids to prevent changes in The Grid 2
- Licencing The Grid 2
- Licensing of grid sets in The Grid 2
- Keyboard shortcuts for editing The Grid 2
- Jump cells and new grids in The Grid 2
- Introducing “English (United States)” to The Grid 2
- Importing and exporting grid bundles in The Grid 2
- How to Make a photo album in The Grid 2
- How to create a music grid with symbols in The Grid 2
- How to use the Random Phrase Command in The Grid 2
- How to speed up switch input in The Grid 2
- How to open a specific file in Computer Control with The Grid 2
- How to navigate around text in The Grid 2
- How to install The Grid 2
- How to hide the Task Bar when using Program Control in The Grid 2
- How to get a new language for The Grid 2
- How to create a wordlist in The Grid 2
- How to create a visual scene in The Grid 2
- How to change the language of a grid set in The Grid 2
- How to backup users in The Grid 2 Grid Explorer
- How many rows, column and cells can I have in The Grid 2?
- How do I use the Webcam workspace in The Grid 2?
- How do I make The Grid 2 start when I turn on my computer?
- How do I make The Grid 2 show my grids when it starts?
- Hiding the menu bar in The Grid 2
- The Grid 2 Grid Explorer and your Users
- Grid 2 User Migration Tool
- Grid 2 mobile phone workspace
- Grid 2 Commands
- Grid 2 Cell Styles
- General editing of The Grid 2
- Error tracking with Sensory Software programs
- The Grid 2 Error message Incorrect Version of Binaries
- Environment Control Workspace in The Grid 2
- Environment Control Transmitters and The Grid 2
- Email with The Grid 2
- Editing a cell in Grid 2
- EC Accessories and Transmitters
- Display options in The Grid 2 update 2.7
- Data Logging in The Grid 2
- Cursor control problems with The Grid 2 in Vista and Windows 7
- Creating a music grid in The Grid 2
- Creating “are you sure” options in The Grid 2
- Create a grid for a specific program in The Grid 2
- Contacts in The Grid 2
- Connecting a USB Modem to Grid 2
- Connect a mobile phone to The Grid 2 with Bluetooth
- Common on-screen keyboard cells in The Grid 2
- Setting up your access method in The Grid 2
- Changing User Settings in The Grid 2
- Changing the COM port for a USB device
- Autocomplete Prediction and SwiftKey in The Grid 2
- Auto content cells in The Grid 2
- Audio connections for mobile phone conversations with The Grid 2
- Adding/removing rows and columns in The Grid 2
- Adding music to The Grid 2
- Setting up two Pretorian Simply Works – Switch 75s or Easyswitch with The Grid 2
- Grid 2 and Voice Recognition
- The Grid 2 Access Methods: Switches
- The Grid 2 Access Methods: Pointer Settings
- The Grid 2 Access Methods: Eye Gaze
- Acapela voice licence error in The Grid 2
- Pointer settings in The Grid 2
- Eye gaze settings in The Grid 2
- Using IR Trans with multiple transmitters in The Grid 2
- How do I send a grid set to Grid Player from The Grid 2?
- Activate Smartbox software without an internet connection
- Problems with Grid 3, The Grid 2 and Look to Learn after the Windows Autumn Creators update
- SmartNav less responsive after Windows 10 update
- Smartbox software issues after Windows 10 updates
Showing missing symbols in The Grid 2
The Grid 2 will display a grey box in place of a symbol if it cannot display the symbol.
What does the grey box mean?
A grey box in a cell means that The Grid 2 cannot display a symbol. This usually means that they symbol cannot be located on your computer, but it can also indicate that you need a licence to use a symbol library.
The grey box may have the name of the symbol library written in it to help determine why the symbol is not displayed. For example, missing Mayer-Johnson PCS symbols are denoted “PCS”.
Why do some symbols display and not others?
The Grid 2 uses symbols from different sources in different ways. Symbols that you include by doing a screen capture or browsing for a file are copied with the grid, and so these pictures are always displayed.
Symbols from symbol libraries are treated differently. Instead of copying the symbols, we store a reference to it within the symbol library. This does two things; it keeps the grids small, and it helps to protect the copyright of the symbol creators.
How do I get the symbols to display?
First of all, you should update to the latest version of The Grid 2. We have added support for more symbol libraries as time goes on, so getting an up-to-date version on your computer is important. You can use Sensory Update to get the latest version.
Symbols will be installed into a folder on your computer, usually divided into sub-folders called ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘C’, etc. The Grid 2 needs to know the location of the folder for your symbols.
Go to File > Preferences and choose the File locations tab. Here you can see a list of symbol libraries supported by The Grid 2, with a tick mark next to those that have been located.
Select the symbol library you want to locate and click Find. The Grid 2 will look for the symbols in the most likely places on your computer, and let you know if it can find them. If it does not locate the symbols, you need to locate the folder manually with the Browse button.
The Widgit Rebus symbols are included with The Grid 2, but require a licence to be used. In some countries, this licence is included with The Grid 2, and in other countries it is bought separately as an add-on. If the symbols are marked as “not licensed” then you need to use Licence Manager to unlock the symbols.
I don’t have the symbols on my computer
If you are trying to view symbols from a symbol library, you need to have the symbol library on your computer. For example, if you have received a copy of a grid that uses PCS symbols, you will need to have the PCS symbol library on your computer in order to access the symbols.
What if I bought the symbols with some other software?
You may be able to use the symbols with The Grid 2. Some software includes symbols that are available for general re-use. Other software includes symbols that may not be used with other software, and in this case you will need to obtain a separate copy/licence to use the symbols with The Grid 2.
Request a quote
Quickly put together what you need and send it over to us.