- Speech recognition and The Grid 2
- MyTobii eye tracking not working with The Grid 2 after update
- How to install Calendar for The Grid 2
- Touchscreen settings for Tobii C-Series devices with The Grid 2
- Disable Charms Bar & Hot Corners on Windows 8/8.1 touchscreens
- Change timings in Environment Control Workspace in The Grid 2
- Using Google as your search engine in the Grid 2
- Troubleshooting Grid 2 start-up problems
- Troubleshooting Quick Glance with The Grid 2
- Configuring Gmail for use with Grid 2
- Environment control troubleshooting in The Grid 2
- How do I use the tabs in Grid Explorer in The Grid 2?
- The Grid 2 not recognising Tobii PCEye
- Basic video training for The Grid 2
- How to configure exceptions for Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender in The Grid 2
- Contacts in The Grid 2
- Using The Grid 2 and a tablet as a dedicated communication aid
- Firewall settings
- Free email account for Grid 2
- Focusing on Computer control in The Grid 2
- File location placeholders in The Grid 2
- Eyegaze interaction with The Grid 2
- XML Schema for The Grid 2
- Why is AllWrite receiving jumbled words in The Grid 2?
- Which switch adaptors can I use with The Grid 2?
- Where are my The Grid 2 Users stored?
- What is the Program Control workspace in The Grid 2
- What is the minimum specification for The Grid 2?
- What is compatibility mode in The Grid 2?
- Video Clips for The Grid 2
- Using Webcams with Grid 2
- Using the Grid 2 Importer
- Using symbols with typing in The Grid 2
- Using more than one picture library in The Grid 2
- Using Grid 2 with non-Latin alphabets
- Using Grid 2 with Hotmail
- Using Abbreviation Expansion in The Grid 2
- User Permissions for Smartbox software
- User options for dwell and scanning time in The Grid 2
- User Account Control in Windows Vista for The Grid 2
- Use of Grid 2 in Chinese
- Using The Grid 2 with Googlemail
- Understanding volume in The Grid 2
- Troubleshooting speech problems in The Grid 2
- The Grid 2 Workspaces
- The Grid 2 web browser improvements – v.2.3
- The Grid 2 picture editor
- The Grid 2 is running twice
- The Grid 2 error message “You do not have language X installed”
- The Grid 2 DVD player
- The Grid 2 and Z-Wave
- Sony Ericsson phones with The Grid 2
- Showing missing symbols in The Grid 2
- Sharing The Grid 2 Users over a network
- Setting up your TIRA or UUIRT device for EC in The Grid 2
- Setting up your GEWA device for Environment Control in The Grid 2
- Send an instant SMS from The Grid 2
- Selecting a voice in The Grid 2
- Saved Phrases in The Grid 2
- Run programs from The Grid 2
- Reports in The Grid 2
- Release notes for The Grid 2
- Prediction in The Grid 2
- Prediction cells in The Grid 2
- Playing music files using the music player workspace in The Grid 2
- Picture viewer in The Grid 2
- Phones compatible with The Grid 2
- Option to Hide Cells in The Grid 2
- Notes on The Grid 2 Importer
- No sound when playing DVDs in The Grid 2
- New Switch options for The Grid 2 2.7 update
- My words are appearing joined up in The Grid 2!
- Moving and resizing cells in The Grid 2
- MIDI in The Grid 2
- Making games with player scores in The Grid 2
- Locking grids to prevent changes in The Grid 2
- Licencing The Grid 2
- Licensing of grid sets in The Grid 2
- Keyboard shortcuts for editing The Grid 2
- Jump cells and new grids in The Grid 2
- Introducing “English (United States)” to The Grid 2
- Importing and exporting grid bundles in The Grid 2
- How to Make a photo album in The Grid 2
- How to create a music grid with symbols in The Grid 2
- How to use the Random Phrase Command in The Grid 2
- How to speed up switch input in The Grid 2
- How to open a specific file in Computer Control with The Grid 2
- How to navigate around text in The Grid 2
- How to install The Grid 2
- How to hide the Task Bar when using Program Control in The Grid 2
- How to get a new language for The Grid 2
- How to create a wordlist in The Grid 2
- How to create a visual scene in The Grid 2
- How to change the language of a grid set in The Grid 2
- How to backup users in The Grid 2 Grid Explorer
- How many rows, column and cells can I have in The Grid 2?
- How do I use the Webcam workspace in The Grid 2?
- How do I make The Grid 2 start when I turn on my computer?
- How do I make The Grid 2 show my grids when it starts?
- Hiding the menu bar in The Grid 2
- The Grid 2 Grid Explorer and your Users
- Grid 2 User Migration Tool
- Grid 2 mobile phone workspace
- Grid 2 Commands
- Grid 2 Cell Styles
- General editing of The Grid 2
- Error tracking with Sensory Software programs
- The Grid 2 Error message Incorrect Version of Binaries
- Environment Control Workspace in The Grid 2
- Environment Control Transmitters and The Grid 2
- Email with The Grid 2
- Editing a cell in Grid 2
- EC Accessories and Transmitters
- Display options in The Grid 2 update 2.7
- Data Logging in The Grid 2
- Cursor control problems with The Grid 2 in Vista and Windows 7
- Creating a music grid in The Grid 2
- Creating “are you sure” options in The Grid 2
- Create a grid for a specific program in The Grid 2
- Contacts in The Grid 2
- Connecting a USB Modem to Grid 2
- Connect a mobile phone to The Grid 2 with Bluetooth
- Common on-screen keyboard cells in The Grid 2
- Setting up your access method in The Grid 2
- Changing User Settings in The Grid 2
- Changing the COM port for a USB device
- Autocomplete Prediction and SwiftKey in The Grid 2
- Auto content cells in The Grid 2
- Audio connections for mobile phone conversations with The Grid 2
- Adding/removing rows and columns in The Grid 2
- Adding music to The Grid 2
- Setting up two Pretorian Simply Works – Switch 75s or Easyswitch with The Grid 2
- Grid 2 and Voice Recognition
- The Grid 2 Access Methods: Switches
- The Grid 2 Access Methods: Pointer Settings
- The Grid 2 Access Methods: Eye Gaze
- Acapela voice licence error in The Grid 2
- Pointer settings in The Grid 2
- Eye gaze settings in The Grid 2
- Using IR Trans with multiple transmitters in The Grid 2
- How do I send a grid set to Grid Player from The Grid 2?
- Activate Smartbox software without an internet connection
- Problems with Grid 3, The Grid 2 and Look to Learn after the Windows Autumn Creators update
- SmartNav less responsive after Windows 10 update
- Smartbox software issues after Windows 10 updates
Troubleshooting Grid 2 start-up problems
If you are having problems getting Grid 2 to start please phone the help desk for advice.
This article is intended for use by experienced IT support staff for fault-finding and repair start-up problems with The Grid 2 where remote support is not possible.
Occasionally Grid 2 won’t start. Sometimes you get a ‘Runtime Error 0’ message or it freezes and Windows announces there is a problem and it has closed the program. File locations in this article are for 64 bit versions of Windows. On 32 bit editions use the following folders:
C:\Program Files (x64)\Sensory Software -> C:\Program Files\Sensory Software
C:\Windows\SysWow64 -> C:\Windows\System32
Step 1 – Make sure the software is up to date.
Make sure all Windows updates are installed.
To force the sensory updater to do a ‘repair’ install delete the file:
C:\Program Files (x64)\Sensory Software \The Grid 2\The Grid 2.exe.manifest
and then run the on-line installer. This will check all files for corruption and are up to date.
If you don’t have access to the on line installer it is important to use the latest version of the installer CD. This can be downloaded from www.sensorysoftware.com/downloads/iso/the_grid_2. Failure to use the latest version of the installer can result in mismatched components.
Step 2 – Try to start into Grid Explorer.
Force Grid 2 to start in Grid Explorer by renaming the file:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Sensory Software\The Grid 2\Preferences.xml
Reboot the machine and then try to start Grid 2. If it starts in Grid Explorer goto Step 3.
If you still cant start Grid Explorer, the problem is most likely to be one of the following:
Anti Virus software blocking access to either Sensory Licence Manager or Sensory Speech.
The installer failed to register/update some of the shared Microsoft dlls.
Location for the User folder is missing. Make sure the folder
“C:\Users\Public\Documents\Sensory Software\The Grid 2\Users”
exists and you can create files in that location.
Some anti-virus products have an option to pause their protection but it is necessary to completely uninstall the product to be certain. Be especially careful to check for out of date versions of AVG, McAfee and Norton. We find Microsoft Security Essentials one of the least intrusive products. McAfee and Norton frequently cause problems.
You can test Sensory Speech using the program:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Sensory Software\Common\Speech\Sensory Speech Test.exe
When setting exceptions, most AV products require separate settings for computer scans and real time protection. See How to configure exceptions for Microsoft Security Essentials for more details.
Shared DLL files
Occasionally programs running in the background block access to some of the shared Microsoft DLLs (MSWINSCK.OCX, mscomctl.ocx and mscomm32.ocx) during the install process. On startup, Grid 2 will normally raise a dialog naming the dll. To fix:
Open an elevated console window and CD to C:\Windows\SyWow64
Unregister and delete the three files:
regsvr32 /u xxx.dll
Rerun the installer.
If you have problems deleting the files you may need to start in safe mode to delete the files.
Step 3 – Try to start in a new user
Once any Grid Explorer start-up problems have been resolved you should try to open a new user. Creating a new user ensures the problems are not related to corrupt user files. If Grid 2 crashes when opening a new user is most likely to be due to one of three problems:
Internet Explorer missing or corrupt.
Windows Media Player missing or corrupt.
AV products blocking access to Sensory Speech.
Open Internet Explorer to confirm it is working correctly (it need not have access to the internet, but it must be able to open correctly). You should also check for signs of malware in Internet Explorer (e.g. unwanted adverts). If you suspect malware we suggest you scan the machine with Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org).
Windows Media Player
Occasionally corrupt media files cause Windows Media Player from starting. You may need to rename folders containing your media and then reset the library.
To test for problems with sensory speech, start Grid 2 into Grid Explorer and then, from Grid Explorer, select the new user and select ‘User Settings’ and test the speech from the speech settings dialog. If you experience problems at this stage they are most likely due to Anti Virus products.
Step 4 – Return to normal operation
Restore the preferences file to its normal name (see Step 2) and see if Grid 2 will start. If Grid 2 can open a newly created user, but crashes or hangs when trying to open a specific user is most likely to be a corrupt file in the users area. The name of the startup user is in the Preferences File as “<startuser>Fast Talker 2</startuser>”
Try deleting the touch type prediction file (where xxx is the username):
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Sensory Software\The Grid 2\Users\xxx\Settings0\Dictionary\touchtype_personal.lm3
Step 5 – Report the issue
If, after completing the above steps you are still having problems, please run sensory diagnostics to collect information and send the log file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also include details of any AntiVirus software you are running and your contact details.
Request a quote
Quickly put together what you need and send it over to us.