- Speech recognition and The Grid 2
- MyTobii eye tracking not working with The Grid 2 after update
- How to install Calendar for The Grid 2
- Touchscreen settings for Tobii C-Series devices with The Grid 2
- Disable Charms Bar & Hot Corners on Windows 8/8.1 touchscreens
- Change timings in Environment Control Workspace in The Grid 2
- Using Google as your search engine in the Grid 2
- Troubleshooting Grid 2 start-up problems
- Troubleshooting Quick Glance with The Grid 2
- Configuring Gmail for use with Grid 2
- Environment control troubleshooting in The Grid 2
- How do I use the tabs in Grid Explorer in The Grid 2?
- The Grid 2 not recognising Tobii PCEye
- Basic video training for The Grid 2
- How to configure exceptions for Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender in The Grid 2
- Contacts in The Grid 2
- Using The Grid 2 and a tablet as a dedicated communication aid
- Firewall settings
- Free email account for Grid 2
- Focusing on Computer control in The Grid 2
- File location placeholders in The Grid 2
- Eyegaze interaction with The Grid 2
- XML Schema for The Grid 2
- Why is AllWrite receiving jumbled words in The Grid 2?
- Which switch adaptors can I use with The Grid 2?
- Where are my The Grid 2 Users stored?
- What is the Program Control workspace in The Grid 2
- What is the minimum specification for The Grid 2?
- What is compatibility mode in The Grid 2?
- Video Clips for The Grid 2
- Using Webcams with Grid 2
- Using the Grid 2 Importer
- Using symbols with typing in The Grid 2
- Using more than one picture library in The Grid 2
- Using Grid 2 with non-Latin alphabets
- Using Grid 2 with Hotmail
- Using Abbreviation Expansion in The Grid 2
- User Permissions for Smartbox software
- User options for dwell and scanning time in The Grid 2
- User Account Control in Windows Vista for The Grid 2
- Use of Grid 2 in Chinese
- Using The Grid 2 with Googlemail
- Understanding volume in The Grid 2
- Troubleshooting speech problems in The Grid 2
- The Grid 2 Workspaces
- The Grid 2 web browser improvements – v.2.3
- The Grid 2 picture editor
- The Grid 2 is running twice
- The Grid 2 error message “You do not have language X installed”
- The Grid 2 DVD player
- The Grid 2 and Z-Wave
- Sony Ericsson phones with The Grid 2
- Showing missing symbols in The Grid 2
- Sharing The Grid 2 Users over a network
- Setting up your TIRA or UUIRT device for EC in The Grid 2
- Setting up your GEWA device for Environment Control in The Grid 2
- Send an instant SMS from The Grid 2
- Selecting a voice in The Grid 2
- Saved Phrases in The Grid 2
- Run programs from The Grid 2
- Reports in The Grid 2
- Release notes for The Grid 2
- Prediction in The Grid 2
- Prediction cells in The Grid 2
- Playing music files using the music player workspace in The Grid 2
- Picture viewer in The Grid 2
- Phones compatible with The Grid 2
- Option to Hide Cells in The Grid 2
- Notes on The Grid 2 Importer
- No sound when playing DVDs in The Grid 2
- New Switch options for The Grid 2 2.7 update
- My words are appearing joined up in The Grid 2!
- Moving and resizing cells in The Grid 2
- MIDI in The Grid 2
- Making games with player scores in The Grid 2
- Locking grids to prevent changes in The Grid 2
- Licencing The Grid 2
- Licensing of grid sets in The Grid 2
- Keyboard shortcuts for editing The Grid 2
- Jump cells and new grids in The Grid 2
- Introducing “English (United States)” to The Grid 2
- Importing and exporting grid bundles in The Grid 2
- How to Make a photo album in The Grid 2
- How to create a music grid with symbols in The Grid 2
- How to use the Random Phrase Command in The Grid 2
- How to speed up switch input in The Grid 2
- How to open a specific file in Computer Control with The Grid 2
- How to navigate around text in The Grid 2
- How to install The Grid 2
- How to hide the Task Bar when using Program Control in The Grid 2
- How to get a new language for The Grid 2
- How to create a wordlist in The Grid 2
- How to create a visual scene in The Grid 2
- How to change the language of a grid set in The Grid 2
- How to backup users in The Grid 2 Grid Explorer
- How many rows, column and cells can I have in The Grid 2?
- How do I use the Webcam workspace in The Grid 2?
- How do I make The Grid 2 start when I turn on my computer?
- How do I make The Grid 2 show my grids when it starts?
- Hiding the menu bar in The Grid 2
- The Grid 2 Grid Explorer and your Users
- Grid 2 User Migration Tool
- Grid 2 mobile phone workspace
- Grid 2 Commands
- Grid 2 Cell Styles
- General editing of The Grid 2
- Error tracking with Sensory Software programs
- The Grid 2 Error message Incorrect Version of Binaries
- Environment Control Workspace in The Grid 2
- Environment Control Transmitters and The Grid 2
- Email with The Grid 2
- Editing a cell in Grid 2
- EC Accessories and Transmitters
- Display options in The Grid 2 update 2.7
- Data Logging in The Grid 2
- Cursor control problems with The Grid 2 in Vista and Windows 7
- Creating a music grid in The Grid 2
- Creating “are you sure” options in The Grid 2
- Create a grid for a specific program in The Grid 2
- Contacts in The Grid 2
- Connecting a USB Modem to Grid 2
- Connect a mobile phone to The Grid 2 with Bluetooth
- Common on-screen keyboard cells in The Grid 2
- Setting up your access method in The Grid 2
- Changing User Settings in The Grid 2
- Changing the COM port for a USB device
- Autocomplete Prediction and SwiftKey in The Grid 2
- Auto content cells in The Grid 2
- Audio connections for mobile phone conversations with The Grid 2
- Adding/removing rows and columns in The Grid 2
- Adding music to The Grid 2
- Setting up two Pretorian Simply Works – Switch 75s or Easyswitch with The Grid 2
- Grid 2 and Voice Recognition
- The Grid 2 Access Methods: Switches
- The Grid 2 Access Methods: Pointer Settings
- The Grid 2 Access Methods: Eye Gaze
- Acapela voice licence error in The Grid 2
- Pointer settings in The Grid 2
- Eye gaze settings in The Grid 2
- Using IR Trans with multiple transmitters in The Grid 2
- How do I send a grid set to Grid Player from The Grid 2?
- Activate Smartbox software without an internet connection
- Problems with Grid 3, The Grid 2 and Look to Learn after the Windows Autumn Creators update
- SmartNav less responsive after Windows 10 update
- Smartbox software issues after Windows 10 updates
Troubleshooting speech problems in The Grid 2
This article covers the case where you are having trouble with the voices responding slowly, stuttering or the ‘Switch To / Retry’ dialog appears when a program starts speaking. A companion article ‘Cant get any voices to work’ covers the case where you cant hear output from some/any or your voices.
Improving Computer Performance
Over time, your computer may slow down. Microsoft provde a number of tools to help restore performance. This article by Microsoft shows how to improve performance using utilities already installed on your computer.
The remainder of this page makes some more suggestions that you can try after you have followed the advice in the above article.
Power Saver Settings
Most computers have various power settings. These control how Windows tries to balance battery life with processing requirements. if you are having problems, try setting your power setting for Maximum performance. On Vista, type Power into the start menu and select ‘Power Options’. There are three options: ‘Balanced’, ‘Power Saver’ and ‘High Performance’. On Xp, right click over the desktop, select ‘Properties’, select the ‘Screen Saver’ tab and then click the ‘Power settings’ button. Select the ‘Max Performance’ option from te drop down list.
You will need to experiment to find the setting that gives acceptable performance and battery life.
Although virus checkers are essential if the computer is connected to the internet, they take valuable CPU resources. Most shops now try to sell a bundle comprising anti-virus, spyware, firewall, spam filters and web link checkers. For domestic users the internal Windows firewall is sufficient and the spam filter and web-link checker in many bundles of doubtful value. Both Kaspersky and AVG sell anti-virus products that don’t include spam filters, firewalls or other unnecessary add-ons. If you already have AV software, it may be necessary to uninstall and do a custom re-install to remove the firewall and spam filters properly.
Virus checkers generally have two modes of operation: ‘Resident shield’ and ‘Disk Scan’. You will probably want the resident shield to be active at all times, but the disk scan can be scheduled to run when the computer is not in use. A default install of AVG includes an option ‘Run on computer startup is missed’. This means that the disk scan often runs when the computer is turned on and is very annoying. A better policy is to schedule the scan for midnight and then, once a week, leave the computer turned on overnight. Exact details of where the setting is differ between version. On my PC I do the following:
Right click the AVG icon and select ‘Open AVG control pannel’
In the left pane, select ‘Computer Scanner’
In the list of scheduled scans select ‘Scheduled scan’ and click the ‘Edit Scheduled Scan’ button.
Change the time the scan is scheduled for and clear the ‘Run on computer startup is missed’ checkbox.
We have also experienced problems on a couple of computers running the McAfee spam checker.
Some versions of this seem to have problems if there are a lot of old emails in the spam or deleted messages folders.
Finally, its worth noting that you should only have one anti-virus product installed on your machine. If you have more they can fight for resources. This link describes a tool that can be used to look for remnants of old AV and firewall products on your machine.
If the problem comes and goes, it may be that Windows update is downloading and installing updates in the background. Windows allows you to change how updates are delivered (Control panel -> Automatic Updates). You can have Windows download the updates, but not install them. Thus setting also avoid problems of having the machine reboot when some updates are installed.
When disk space runs low, Windows compresses some folders. This can slow down file access. In Windows Explorer, these folders are normally displayed in blue letters. You should check the following folders are not compressed:
C:\Program Files\Sensory Software\Common\Speech\Acapela
C:\Program Files\Sensory Software\The Grid 2
If so you should uncompress them. (Right click to get the folder properties and then click the ‘Advanced’ button by the Read Only and Hidden attributes.)
If you start task manager and go to the ‘Processes’ tab and then click the top of the CPU colum twice it will list the processes on the machine by ther CPU load. When you are not trying to speak or jump between grids, you should see System Idle Process at the top showing about 95% or more. Does task manager show anything else taking the CPU? Another clue to look for is if the hard disk light is flashing or you can hear a noise from the disk. This may indicate other processes hogging CPU.
If all else fails
If none of the above options work, you can try one of the following solutions:
Grid 2 has a ‘Pause before speaking’ option on the File->Preferences menu (Advanced tab). This inserts a short delay to allow the screen to redraw before starting speech.
There are significant variations between the Acapela voices. Try experimenting with other voices. Many of the older SAPI voices such as Realspeak and Dectalk make much smaller demands on the CPU.
Add more memory. This is generally the cheapest option for improving performance. If you are not afraid of removing the covers of your PC, Crucial provide an on-line tool to select the correct memory for your machine. Alternatively take your computer to your local computer shop and ask for advice.
Request a quote
Quickly put together what you need and send it over to us.