- Using The Grid 2 with Windows 8
- Enable Windows 8 on-screen keyboard function keys
- Remote support
- Using your CereVoice Me voice in Grid 3
- Change the size of screen items in Windows
- Change the size of menu fonts in Windows 7
- Downloading and Burning ISO Files
- How to disable a built in Web camera
- Gathering information about an error
- Which versions of Windows are supported?
- User Permissions for Smartbox software
- Types of USB switch connector
- To change the size of screen items in Windows
- To change the size of screen items in Windows 8
- SAPI speech is not working!
- Questions about Smartbox Update
- Keyboard Shortcuts for Windows XP
- Installing VLC media player.
- Corrupted memory cards
- Can’t get some/any voices to work
- Using Dwell Clicker 6 with Smartnav
- Activate Smartbox software without an internet connection
- Licencing Dwell Clicker 2
- Alea Intelligaze Shortcuts
- Windows 10 and your device
- Quick device maintenance and troubleshooting
- Antivirus updates
- Finding Log files for our software
- Returning an item to us
- Languages reset after Windows 10 Anniversary update
- Windows 10 update has broken Wi-Fi on my device
- Smartbox and your data
- Resetting your Smartbox account password
- Using Grid 3 to play Steam games
- Problems with Grid 3, The Grid 2 and Look to Learn after the Windows Autumn Creators update
- SmartNav less responsive after Windows 10 update
- How to Uninstall Dwell Clicker
- How to remove Cookies and search history from Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge
- Reducing the size of photo files for use in Grid 3
- How to disable Windows 10 sign-in
- Unable to access a free trial of a licensed grid set
- Cannot pair wireless Acer keyboard with Grid Pad
- Where can I find the myGaze EyeMouse Play software?
- How to remove the handles from a Grid Pad Go device
- How to find your device serial number
- No sound in Grid 3 after Windows update
- Recommended power settings for your Grid Pad
- Grid 3 failing to load on start up
- Beeping sound when using keyboard, Windows button or switch
- How to improve visual feedback for touch screen users
- How to create cells to play a song or video from your music / video library
- Grid Pad 11 not starting
- Unable to send messages using Grid 3 with Call Center
- Connecting an external microphone to Power Pad
- Windows 10 Update Assistant failing to update software
- TalkTalk blocking Teamviewer
- Screen rotation re-enabled after Windows update
- Using a smart phone with Grid
- Support options when you purchase from a Smartbox Partner
- Checking the Bluetooth speaker connection on Touch Pad
- Super Core Communication Book: FAQs
- Creating a word list in Grid
- Cleaning of devices
- How to get set up for a Virtual Visit
- How to make Super Core Communication Book pages
- How to purchase and install PODD in Grid 3
- How to purchase and install PODD in Grid for iPad
- What is AAC?
- Grid Pad and Accessory manuals
- Information to help us deliver support
- Grid Voices
- How to add the new Teen and Adult vocabulary to an existing Super Core grid set
- Updating Look to Learn and Look to Read
- Converting video files in Look to Learn on Windows 7
- Sleep screen or wake on touch issues after Windows Update 2004/20H2
- Declarations of conformity
- Medical Device Regulations
- Apache log4j vulnerability
- Is discount available for Grid software or apps in the US?
- Is discount available for Grid software or apps in the UK?
- Grid Player is temporarily unavailable
- Windows 10 update re-enables Fast startup
- High CPU usage on Grid Pad 13
- How to add a video to your grid set
- Windows on screen keyboard not working after Windows 10 Anniversary update
- How can I improve the battery life of my Grid Pad?
- Grid 3 is not able to update
- Troubleshooting switches that are not working in Grid 3
- Cursor drifting to the side of the screen when using Quha Zono
- Smartbox software issues after Windows 10 updates
- Can I use Grid AAC software on an Android device?
- Firmware update affecting Touch Pad
- Fix for firmware update affecting Touch Pad
Types of USB switch connector
There are a number of USB switch connectors available from different manufacturers, and not all work in the same way. This article should help you to identify the switch connector you need.
Does it matter how it works?
When you plug a USB device into Windows the USB device tells Windows what it is – keyboard, digital camera, joystick or whatever. Windows can then find the driver and install the device.
A switch is not a recognised Windows device. Instead, switch controlled software uses a keyboard, mouse or joystick (game controller with fire buttons) as switches. The switch adaptor must act like one of these devices when the switch is pressed.
This is important, because you must be sure that the software you are using supports the device the switch connector is emulating (keyboard, mouse or joystick). If it does not then check to see if the switch connector comes with software to make it compatible. The safest choice is to get a USB (Joystick) based adaptor, as these come with software that imitates the mouse and keyboard types.
|Keyboard switches||Joystick switches|
|Pros: Supported by a wide range of games software.||Pros: Can be used to play games that are not designed for disability.
Supported by major switch software (eg Sensory Software The Grid 2 and Switch Friendly Games, Clicker by Crick and Writing With Symbols by Widgit)
|Cons: May type into any Windows program, which might cause problems.||Cons: Not all disability software supports joystick input (but provided software will help).|
Request a quote
Quickly put together what you need and send it over to us.