- Create a new user in Grid 3
- Grid Explorer in Grid 3
- Launching Grid 3 on startup
- Opening and using a grid set in Grid 3
- Quick edits in Grid 3
- Editing a write cell in Grid 3
- Changing a picture
- Screen capture images for your cells
- Grid 3 minimum specifications
- Editing a picture
- Creating a cell with two symbols in Grid 3
- Moving cells in Grid 3
- Resizing cells in Grid 3
- Editing the grid layout in Grid 3
- Resizing a row or column
- Changing cell appearance and cell styles
- Jump cells
- Chat and writing cells
- Commands in Grid 3
- Word lists in Grid 3
- Create word list from a body of text in Grid 3
- Adding and managing grids in Grid 3
- Cell accessibility in Grid 3
- Adding sound to a cell in Grid 3
- Setting up your Smartbox account in Grid 3
- Linking a Dropbox account to Grid 3
- Remote editing in Grid 3
- Downloading new voices in Grid 3
- How do I import grid sets in Grid 3 from one language into another?
- How can I access the latest languages in Grid 3?
- Grid 3 Keyboard Shortcuts
- How to record Grid 3 audio with Audacity
- Backup up and restore a user account in Grid 3
- Grid 3 EULA
- Grid 3 Languages
- Installing and licensing Grid 3
- Installing WordPower for Grid 3
- Grid 3 Release notes
- Send your grid sets to Online Grids from Grid 3
- Send a Grid 3 grid set to Grid Player
- Sleep screen command in Grid 3
- Smartbox and your data
- Upgrading from The Grid 2 to Grid 3
- Using the Keyboard Key command in Grid 3
- Saving a contact from an SMS or Email in Grid 3
- Playing Music in Grid 3
- Using Special Features in WordPower for Grid 3
- CallCenter and Grid 3
- Using WhatsApp with Grid 3
- Using Grid 3 as a Speech Generating Device (SGD)
- Configuring iCloud Email with Grid 3
- Reducing the size of photo files for use in Grid 3
- How to use emoji symbols in Grid 3
- Unable to access a free trial of a licensed grid set
- Symbols not appearing in Grid 3 search
- Sleep screen not working with Grid 3
- No sound in Grid 3 after Windows update
- Unable to add a grid set to Grid explorer from a USB or Online Grids
- Grid 3 running slow
- Grid 3 internal web browser appearing black
- How do I get started with Message banking in Grid 3?
- Starting Windows Apps with Grid 3
- Windows Media Player no longer available after the Windows 10 Creators Update
- The New Write Command
- Unable to open a grid set
- How do I import banked messages into Grid 3?
- Using Manic Time Tracker to track Grid 3 activity
- Grid 3 early access updates
- Using a smartphone with Grid
Using a smartphone with Grid
Grid can connect to your smartphone to allow you to make calls and send text messages.
What can you do when you connect a smartphone to Grid?
- Send and receive calls via Grid
- Use your Grid voice on calls
- Listen to your calls through your device
- Send and receive text messages
- Read symbolised text messages
- Read out your messages
You will need:
- Grid for Windows (Grid 3) version 48 or above
- Your communication aid needs to have Bluetooth (Grid Pad 12, 10, 8, Surface Touch and Eye Gaze Essentials)
- Your smartphone must support Bluetooth
We have tested with a wide range of smartphones, both old and new to make sure that the phone feature works as expected, however there are many different devices out there!
We always recommend trying a few options to find the right phone for you before buying.
Android devices running Android 5 and above (Samsung, Google Pixel, Sony and more)
iPhone 6S and above running the most recent OS (iOS13 at time of writing)
How to connect your phone
Check you have Bluetooth switched on, both on your phone and your communication aid.
Open Grid, select the menu and select Settings – Phone.
Discoverable phones will appear on the this screen.
Tip: If you don’t see your phone on the list, you may need to set your phone to be Discoverable. On iPhone, this is a toggle on the Settings – Bluetooth screen. On Android phones, this can vary, certain phones have a discoverable toggle on the Bluetooth settings screen, other phones only become discoverable if the Bluetooth settings screen is open.
Tap Connect next to your chosen phone’s name to begin pairing.
Your phone will display a notification to confirm, often with a pin code. Select ‘Confirm’ or ‘Yes’ to continue pairing.
Tip: Your communication aid may show a similar prompt, ignore this!
You may also get a couple of additional prompts and notifications on your phone while it pairs. These are to allow Grid access to various functions. Accept all of these.
Once pairing is complete you will see a list of what your phone can do while it is connected to Grid.
Your phone will also begin to sync messages and calls, so you may start to see pop ups in Grid.
Phone audio settings
On the Phone settings screen you can choose how you want to send your voice and where you will hear your callers.
This drop down box lists all the audio devices you have connected to your communication aid. This allows you to send your call audio through either your device’s speakers, or another device like headphones or a Bluetooth speaker
Choose where you want to send audio from. Your device will often have a microphone built in, and you can also select any connected headsets. No matter what you choose, you will always be able to send Grid’s voice directly.
Tip: It is best to use headphones if you are intending on using a microphone otherwise you can cause the audio to feedback!
There is also a toggle to use the phone speaker and microphone, this will disable Grid’s audio being sent to the phone.
Request a quote
Quickly put together what you need and send it over to us.