- Grid Explorer in Grid 3
- Launching Grid 3 on startup
- Opening and using a grid set in Grid 3
- Quick edits in Grid 3
- Creating and editing a write cell
- Editing a write cell in Grid 3
- Changing the pictures in a cell
- Screen capture images for your cells
- Grid 3 requirements
- Editing a picture
- Creating a cell with two symbols in Grid 3
- Moving and resizing cells
- Resizing cells in Grid 3
- Editing a grid layout
- Resizing a row or column
- Changing cell appearance and cell style
- Creating jump cells
- Chat writing areas
- Commands in Grid
- Word lists in Grid 3
- Create word list from a body of text in Grid 3
- Adding and managing grids
- Cell accessibility in Grid
- Adding sound to a cell in Grid
- Setting up your Smartbox account in Grid
- Linking a Dropbox account to Grid 3
- Remote editing in Grid
- Downloading new voices in Grid 3
- How do I import grid sets in Grid 3 from one language into another?
- How can I access the latest languages in Grid 3?
- Grid 3 Keyboard Shortcuts
- How to record Grid 3 audio with Audacity
- Backup up and restore a user account in Grid 3
- Grid 3 EULA
- Grid 3 Languages
- Installing and licensing Grid 3
- Installing WordPower for Grid 3
- Grid 3 Release notes
- Sharing grid sets and Online Grids
- Send a Grid 3 grid set to Grid Player
- Sleep screen command in Grid 3
- Smartbox and your data
- Using the Keyboard Key command in Grid 3
- Saving a contact from an SMS or Email in Grid 3
- Playing Music in Grid 3
- Using Special Features in WordPower for Grid 3
- CallCenter and Grid 3
- Using WhatsApp with Grid 3
- Using Grid 3 as a Speech Generating Device (SGD)
- Configuring iCloud Email with Grid 3
- Reducing the size of photo files for use in Grid 3
- How to use emoji symbols in Grid 3
- Unable to access a free trial of a licensed grid set
- Symbols not appearing in Grid 3 search
- Sleep screen not working with Grid 3
- No sound in Grid 3 after Windows update
- Unable to add a grid set to Grid explorer from a USB or Online Grids
- Grid 3 running slow
- Grid 3 internal web browser appearing black
- How do I get started with Message banking in Grid 3?
- Starting Windows Apps with Grid 3
- Windows Media Player no longer available after the Windows 10 Creators Update
- The New Write Command
- Unable to open a grid set
- How do I import banked messages into Grid 3?
- Using Manic Time Tracker to track Grid 3 activity
- Grid 3 early access updates
- Using a smart phone with Grid
- How to purchase and install PODD in Grid 3
- What is AAC?
- What is Grid Explorer in Grid 3
- The Grid Explorer menu in Grid 3
- Choosing your first grid sets in Grid 3
- What grid sets are included with Grid 3?
- Where are access settings in Grid 3?
- Grid Voices
- How to update to the latest version of Facebook
- Adding the new Facebook grids into Fast Talker
Using Grid 3 as a Speech Generating Device (SGD)
If you require a device to be used as a dedicated speech generating device (SGD), and lock out additional Windows functionality, Grid 3 can be installed using a specific licence which activates this functionality.
These licences are available from Smartbox and our partners, for more information please get in touch. Smartbox devices that are funded within the US are supplied with a SGD licence to meet the criteria for Medicaid and Medicare support (for more information visit our US funding site).
Why set up Grid 3 as a Speech Generating Device?
When Grid 3 is setup with an SGD licence, all Windows functionality is removed and the device will boot directly into Grid 3. This means the device is solely used for communication without Computer Control options for accessing other software, nor can Grid 3 be shut down. This keeps the device ready to talk quickly and easily without additional software needed.
Devices setup with the SGD licence code are compliant with US Medicare and Medicaid funding models that require a dedicated device.
What devices support the Grid 3 SGD licence?
All of our Grid Pad devices support the SGD licence version of Grid 3. In addition, the licence can be used with any version of Window 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, excluding Windows 10 S which does not support Grid 3.
What Grid 3 features are removed by using the Speech Generating Device licence
- Interactive learning
- Music and video
- Photos and camera
- Internet (web browser in particular)
- Word processor
- Phone calls
- Computer control – however commands like shutdown, reset etc have been left available.
- Environment control
- Online Grids
How to install Grid 3 with an SGD licence
Please note: When Grid 3 is installed with an SGD licence you will no longer be able to access any Windows program, system settings and other device functions until the device is unlocked using the separate SGD unlock licence.
Grid 3 should be installed as usual on your device with the standard .exe file ( see: Installing Grid 3 ). Once complete, open Grid 3 and select the yellow box to enter your licence code.
When prompted, enter your Grid 3 SGD licence code, this begins with GENMC followed by 10 characters.
Once the licence has been authorized, your device will restart and Grid 3 will open.
You can perform an offline activation using a second internet connected device following these instructions: Activate Smartbox software without an internet connection.
Device maintenance when an SGD licence is active
With a Speech Generating Device licence active, support and maintenance should only be carried out by a professional partner of Smartbox. Please contact your supplier for assistance.
Removing the Speech Generating Device licence
To unlock a device that has the Speech Generating Device licence installed, you will need an unlock licence. These can be purchased from Smartbox or your supplier. This licence can be applied by going to Menu – Settings and selecting the Licence tab. From here tap the Activate button and enter your unlock code. Once activated, your device will restart and you will be able to access Windows without restriction and Grid 3 commands will be unlocked.
Request a quote
Quickly put together what you need and send it over to us.