Join our team of assistive technology experts for a one day interactive training course in Grid 3.
This ‘hands on’, intensive professional development course will take you through everything you need to know about Grid 3 – from initial set up and orientation, to advanced editing and customisation.
The £50 ticket price includes a full copy of Grid 3, so you can keep refining your skills, creating resources and exploring different ways to use the software with your clients.
Who are these days for?
Our study days are suitable for professionals, from speech and language therapists and occupational therapists to teaching assistants.
Although the day has been created with professionals and their training needs in mind the day is open to everyone. If you would like to know more simply get in touch and we will be happy to answer your questions.
Become a Grid 3 expert
The Grid 3 Expert training day is all about gaining new skills, ideas and resources that you can use with your clients.
The day will include:
- ‘Hands on’ training in a Powerpoint free zone from Smartbox experts
- Learn how to create, edit and share grid sets as well as how to personalise access solutions
- Interactive workshops will allow you to put your learning into practice straight away
- From complete beginner to experienced user, there will be content for everyone
- Breakout sessions will give a more in depth look at the specialist areas of your choice. These smaller groups will allow for more personalised support
09.30 – Registration & coffee
09:45 – Workshop 1: Getting started with editing
10.30 – Workshop 2: Moving on – Editing like an expert
11.15 – Break
11.45 – Breakout sessions
12.45 – Lunch
13:45 – Workshop 3: Working with commands
14:30 – Workshop 4: Personalising grid sets
15:15 – Break
15:45 – Workshop 5: Personalising settings and access
16:30 – Finish
Smaller groups allowing more discussion and personalised support, including:
• Interactive learning and pre-AAC – This session is aimed at people working with younger users or those with complex needs. It will focus on resources and strategies to help successfully introduce Grid 3 and alternative communication for the first time.
• Text communication, environment control and computer control – This session is for people that work with individuals that communicate through text, want to operate equipment around the home (such as lights, TV, etc) and use their device as a computer.
• Ask an expert – This is an open session where delegates are invited to ask questions and discuss ideas in small groups with members of the Smartbox team eg help with creating bespoke resources, access solutions including eye gaze hints and tips, troubleshooting, technical queries and advice.
What you’ll need on the day
Please bring your fully charged laptop and charger with you. You will need to download and install the trial version of Grid 3 in preparation for the day.
There will not be an opportunity to download the software on the day so it is essential this has been done beforehand (note that if it is a work laptop you may need to contact your IT department to ask them to install it). You will receive your licence code and CPD certificate at the end of the training.
If you are unable to bring a laptop, please let us know. We will have a limited number of devices available for pre-booking only.
Can I pay by invoice rather than credit card?
We prefer online payment via the Eventbrite web site, but if this is not possible then a purchase order should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and an invoice will be raised.
Will my laptop run Grid 3?
I haven’t got a laptop – can I borrow one?
Please email email@example.com to reserve a laptop (first come first served)
Can I put the Grid 3 license on a different computer?
The free license is for a professional’s PC. It would be fine to use the license on your desktop rather than your laptop for example, but it must not be used on an end user’s communication aid.
I’ve already got Grid 3, can I come along for free?
No – the delegate fee is to cover the cost of the event, so this will need to be paid regardless.
I am an AAC user and I need to bring my PA with me – do they have to pay too?
No – please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will arrange a complimentary place for them
Do I need to be a Grid 3 expert in order to attend?
No prior knowledge required – the day is suitable both for beginners and those with some experience of Grid 3
I’ve installed the free trial already, and it has expired. What should I do?
That is fine. Bring along the laptop with the expired trial – just let one of the Smartbox team know on arrival and we’ll get you up and running.
What people say about our training days
“One of the best training days I’ve been to.”
“Having a go is always good – the more interaction the better! Great day, thanks!”
“WOW! All brilliant. I’m now more confident in editing.”
“The chance to ask questions and meet the staff made it a really good day, thanks!”
“I had so many questions to ask! The day was helpful – good to hear of things in development”
Request a quote
Quickly put together what you need and send it over to us.